Apartment 3-G is an American newspaper Soap opera comic strip about a trio of career women who share the eponymous Apartment 3-G in Manhattan. Created by Nicholas P. Dallis with art by Alex Kotzky, the strip began May 8, 1961, initially distributed by the Publishers Syndicate, which later merged with King Features Syndicate.
Characters and story
The three main characters are Margo Magee, a brunette who has variously held positions as a secretary, actors' agent, publicist and event planner; Abigail "Tommie" Thompson, a redheaded nurse; and Lu Ann Powers née Wright, a blonde art teacher and widow of a U.S. Air Force pilot. Kindly neighbor Professor Aristotle Papagoras serves as a father figure. Lu Ann, originally single, met her husband and married in the 1960s, after which she moved out of the apartment to be replaced by another blonde, Beth. Lu Ann's husband was killed in Vietnam, and she eventually moved back into the apartment.
Alex Kotzky, who drew and inked in a tight and crisp realistic style, was the artist of Apartment 3-G for more than 30 years. When Dallis died in 1991, Kotzky began writing the strip. With Kotzky's death in 1996, his son, Brian Kotzky, took over as the Apartment 3-G artist, and Lisa Trusiani became the scripter. In 2000, Frank Bolle stepped in as the illustrator when Brian Kotzky left to become a teacher. Writer Margaret Shulock later succeeded Trusiani.
Alex Kotzky received the 1968 National Cartoonists Society's Story Comic Strip Award for his work on Apartment 3-G.
- The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G
- Comics Curmudgeon: Apartment 3-G
- King Features Syndicate: Apartment 3-G
- Apartment 3-G at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on April 4, 2012.
- National Cartoonists Society Awards
- Mendez, Prof. A. E.. "The Rules of Attraction: The Look of Love: The Rise and Fall of the Photo-Realistic Newspaper Strip, 1946–1970: Remembering The Girls Next Door: Alex Kotzky and Apartment 3-G". Archived from the original on July 12, 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070712035925/http://profmendez.tripod.com/html/apart3G.htm.