|Parent company||Boom! Studios|
|Country of origin||United States|United States|
|Headquarters location||Hollywood, California|
|Publication types||Comic books, Books|
Mark Smylie formed the company as a home for his comic Artesia because the publisher, Sirius Entertainment, wanted to print the third series in black and white. He quickly realised he might as well publish other titles and early titles included Mouse Guard, Robotika and The Lone and Level Sands.
In March 2007 ASP hired Joseph Illidge, formerly at Milestone Comics, and announced a dozen new titles. Revere joined from Alias Comics, after they moved to an all-Christian line-up, and ASP will publish the trade paperback. Starkweather (based on a story by Piers Anthony) moved over from Arcana Studios for better "product positioning".
In May 2008 Aki Liao, ASP's co-publisher, decided to depart from the company for personal reasons. This started an ongoing commitment to make ASP capable of releasing new titles on time and according to schedule retailers and fans would like to see.
Comics published by Archaia Studios Press include:
- Main article: List of Archaia titles
Archaia has also published a role-playing game based on Artesia:
- Artesia: Adventures in the Known World
- Universities of the Middle Kingdom (by A. David Lewis, forthcoming)
Two comics series were optioned for adaptation into films early on: The Killer and Starkweather. These were later joined by Tumor. In March, 2012, Warner Bros. announced it has picked up Sean Rubin’s upcoming graphic novel Bolivar for an intended animated feature film. Irish filmmaker Kealan O’Rourke has been attached to write and direct the project. Akiva Goldsman and Kerry Foster will produce the film through their Weed Road company.
The graphic novel Rust was also picked up by Fox. It has Aline Brosh McKenna attached to write and Simon Kinberg to produce.
- Moran, David (April 24, 2006). "Talking with Archaia Studios Press' Mark Smylie"' Comic Book Resources
- Archaia Studios Hires Joe Illidge As Editor
- Paul Revere, Monster Hunter Extraordinaire!?, July 10, 2007, Comic Book Resources
- Immortal Witch Boy, interview with David Rodriguez, June 15, 2007
- Archaia Studios Hires Pauline Benney as Art Director, press release, Silver Bullet Comic Books, November 8, 2007
- ASP to restructure, address schedule delays
- Archaia Studios Press To Be Acquired by Kunoichi, Inc., Not Devil's Due, Comic Book Resources, October 8, 2008
- Kunoichi to Purchase Archaia Studios Press, Newsarama, October 8, 2008
- Boom! Studios Acquires Archaia Entertainment
- 2008 Eisner Award Nominees Named (press release), Newsarama, April 14, 2008
- "The Killer" movie by Paramount
- Minovitz, Ethan (07 March 2012). "WB picks up “Bolivar” novel for animated feature". Big Cartoon News. http://blog.bcdb.com/wb-picks-bolivar-animated-feature-3398/. Retrieved 07 March 2012.
- "Rust Movie" at hollywoodreporter.com
- Archaia Studios Press at the Grand Comics Database
- Official website
- Archaia Studios Press at the Comic Book DB
- Days Missing #01-05 Spanish Review @ kopodo
- Awakening writer Nick Tapalansky and artist Alex Eckman-Lawn talk to comiXology
- Matz talks about the Killer on It Came Out on Wednesday from comiXology
- An interview with the creators of The Long Count comic from Archaia Studios on the Comic Geek Speak podcast