- Listen -- There was a struggle song they sang in my time -- it's still good, if you alter it a bit! Try it with me -- EARTH SHALL OVERCOME! EARTH SHALL OVERCOME! EARTH SHALL OVERCOME -- SOMEDAY!!
Appearing in the 1st StoryEdit
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for the 1st StoryEdit
- Synopsis not yet written.
- Reprints the first appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy from Marvel Super-Heroes #18 with 4 pages edited. The cover was recolored for the reprint.
- The year is given as 3007.
- Charlie has been on patrol for six months at the start of the story, watching for Badoon. This implies that there was an ongoing threat preceeding the invasion.
- Charlie was patrolling the "solar rim", which could be referring to the heliopause.
- Martinex says Pluto was evacuated two months ago.
- On Earth-691, humans had established a Moon colony and had landed on Mars by 1988.
- The program that sent Vance to the stars was called Project Starjump.
- Vance's stasis suit was made with copper foil.
- The planet Vance was sent to is never named.
- Beta Centauri IV appears to have at least two large moons.
- Yaka is described as a mineral. One panel implies that the yaka arrow discharges energy to shock a Badoon, but the action is unclear.
- Vance says that he has "learned how to harness psychic energy", implying that he is only using a special technique, and does not possess any extraordinary power.
- This story was retold in Guardians of the Galaxy #26, with Starhawk manipulating the formation of the Guardians behind the scenes.
- Charlie's ship is named for the United Cruiser C-57D in Forbidden Planet. In addition, the design is the same as a missile in Showcase #22.
- Badoon is misspelled "Bardoon" once at the beginning of the story.
- The title of the story and the song Vance teaches the Guardians at the end is a variation on We Shall Overcome, a key anthem of the US civil rights movement.
Links and ReferencesEdit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.