Appearing in "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!"Edit
- The Joker's Former Gang (Single appearance)
- Philly Jack Barton
- Packy White
- Bigger Melvin
- Bing Hooley
Synopsis for "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
- Reprinted in The Official Batman Annual 1986 (UK), The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told and The Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- This story is largely credited with being the Joker's return to his violent roots. Although he had been portrayed as a mass murderer during the Golden Age in his first appearances, creators believed that having a serial killer such as the Joker constantly on the loose would reflect poorly on Batman. That, combined with trouble from the Comics Code Authority, and other things such as the 1960's Adam West Batman TV Series, had reduced the Joker to merely an annoying prankster, always causing trouble for the Batman, but never doing any real harm. Batman #251 is a landmark issue, because it reestablished the Joker as a merciless killer, and introduced dynamics into the Batman/Joker relationship that are still incredibly popular influences on the characters to this day. Namely, the Joker's dependence on Batman as his one truly worthy adversary.
- The episode "Vendetta" of Batman: The Animated Series homages this story, but using Killer Croc instead of the Joker as its antagonist.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 251 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- The Joker (Volume One)
- Batman #321 (Dreadful Birthday, Dear Joker!)
- Detective Comics #475 (The Laughing Fish)
- Detective Comics #476 (The Sign of the Joker)
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.