This page may contain some of the same content as the DC Database article. A more complete and current article is at the DC Comics Database Blackhawk Island.
Situated somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, Blackhawk Island is home base for the Blackhawks, a paramilitary group known to exist during World War II. The island is not listed on any navigational charts, nor is its location known to any government. Blackhawk Island housed the members of the Blackhawk Squadron, their planes, maintenance equipment, storage facilities, and more.
Toward the end of World War II, when the Blackhawks shifted their campaign to the Pacific to fight the Japanese, a new Blackhawk Island was located somewhere near Japan. In the post-war adventures, it seems clear the main base was still in the Pacific, since several missions took place on Pacific islands that were "near" Blackhawk Island. At the same time, it was apparently close to the continental United States, since it was a short flight from their "mainland barracks", which seemed to be on the west coast of the the U.S., and they could respond quickly to emergency calls which mostly came from the U.S.
Despite its apparent secrecy, the island has fallen subject to a number of invasions, attacks and bombardments by Nazis, Japanese, Communists, criminals, and aliens.
- In Military Comics #4, the island was located in the Atlantic, roughly in the middle between Ireland and Canada.
- In Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #2, the island is placed in the Atlantic.
- In his Blackhawk novel, William Rotsler identified Blackhawk Island as one of the Orkney islands northwest of Scotland.
- In Blackhawk #41 (1951), the island is said to be "just off the regular shipping routes," in the vicinity of "Latitude 47, Longitude 166." According to LATLONG.NET:
- "47 lat, 166 long" is in the northwestern part of the Pacific Ocean, just south of the Bering Sea.
- "47 lat, -166 long" is in the empty middle of the northern Pacific Ocean, near nothing.
- "-47 lat, -166 long" is in the empty bottom of the southern Pacific Ocean, near nothing.
- "-47 lat, 166 long" is in the southwestern part of the Pacific Ocean, just south of New Zealand, and right on the eastern edge of the Tasman Sea.
- No trivia.