During the first team-up between the Justice League of America and the Justice Society of America, Barry Allen and Jay Garrick found themselves prisoners inside the Bleed due to the efforts of the super-villain the Fiddler and his portable vibrator.
Following his misadventures in the Wildstorm Universe (known as Earth-50), Captain Atom (then later going by the identity as Monarch) was driven mad by the Monitor Solomon and driven to establish his war against the Monitors where he temporarily lived and established a fortress in the Bleed as it provide him total under-detection from the Monitors. He and Ion once briefly joined forces in the Bleed to repel the threat of alien Daemonites from Earth-50. Monarch then recruited the former Monitor assassin Forerunner to used the Bleed as a beach head to lead his armies against the Monitors.
- Monitors (former)
- Captain Atom/Monarch
- Flash (Barry Allen) (former prisoner)
- Flash (Jay Garrick) (former prisoner)
- Stormwatch (former, pulled out of it by Brother Eye)
- In the Silver Age, the Bleed was never identified by a particular name. It is only within recent years that it has been referred to as the Bleed.
- "The Bleed" as the name of the space between comic book universes is a pun on "bleed", a printing term for the area outside of the margins of a printed work (like a comic book). This concept ties into a more general theme in many of Warren Ellis's comics (especially Planetary) that the structure of the metaverse is similar to a comic book, because for the characters in comic books, the metaverse really is a comic book.