In the 1940s, young Buddy was the non-costumed sidekick of Uncle Sam.
Some time during the "dust bowl" migrations of the mid-1930s, at the Arizona/California border, Ezra Smith and his young grandson Buddy were among an encampment of economic refugees, "Oakies," when Andel Cobra, an ambitious American gangster, tried to rabble-rouse the disaffected and desperate among them, in order to recruit an antidemocracy army of "Purple Shirts" from among the former farmers. Ezra Smith spoke out against these traitors, for which he was shot in the back and killed by one of Cobra's henchmen. Shortly later, the legendary Uncle Sam showed up at the migrant camp, and hired on the newly orphaned Buddy Smith as his assistant, and the lad quickly proved his worth by tackling a fleeing murderer. Later in the same adventure, Buddy ran a long distance, from the hidden Purple Shirt base to a U.S. Army base, to fetch reinforcements for Uncle Sam.
- 14 Appearances of Buddy Smith (New Earth)
- Images featuring Buddy Smith (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Buddy Smith (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Buddy Smith (New Earth)
- Buddy Smith at dccomics.com
- Buddy Smith at Wikipedia.org
- Public Domain Super Heroes: Buddy Smith
- Digital Comics Museum: National Comics