- Remove the sword woman... remove the sword and free me from my age-old imprisonment in this accursed tree!
- -- Moorg
Appearing in "The Warlock Tree!"
- Sir Giliard
- Moorg the Warlock
- Sir Giliard's sword
- The Warlock Tree
Synopsis for "The Warlock Tree!"
An ancient druid is slain by being impaled with a sword upon a tree and curses both the knight and the tree that becomes known as the warlock tree. The legend goes that the knight's family was drown shortly after and the sword was left stuck in the tree to bind the sorcerer's spirit to it. Anyone's name associated with the tree is said to be cursed, but an English girl's fiancée doesn't believe in superstition, and intends to carve both her and his name in the tree. She sees what he's doing and asks to be taken home, but not before he has already carved her name. That evening she responds to a sinister voice, and like a woman in a trance, walks out to the tree. The man sees her leave the house and realizes that the curse is true and he has subjected her to it. He follows her as the evil spirit implores her to pull forth the sword and release him. The man pleads with her not to do so, and they are saved when a bolt of lightning is drawn towards the sword and shatters the tree.
Appearing in "The Tell Tale Heart"
- Headstone P. Gravely (Host)
- Claude's uncle
- police officers
- Claude Pane
Synopsis for "The Tell Tale Heart"
Poe's "Tell Tale Heart" in a contemporary setting.
Appearing in "Something Lurks on Shadow Mountain!"
- Digger (Roderick Krupp) (Host)
- thing from the coffin
- George Ashton
- his girl
- a construction crew
Synopsis for "Something Lurks on Shadow Mountain!"
A similar plot to "The Thing in the Black Box" from Journey Into Mystery #74
(February) The night is dark—the moon is full—and mysterious Marvel's back with three of its spookiest tales yet!
- (March) and, STILL ON SALE — The night is dark—the moon is full—and mysterious Marvel's back with three of its spookiest tales yet!
- Sequence 1 The Warlock Tree
- Conway is credited as Gerard Conway
- reprinted in Giant-Size Chillers #3
- Sequence 2 The Tell Tale Heart is loosely based on the short story by Edgar Allan Poe.
- Sequence 3 Something Lurks on Shadow Mountain reprinted in Tomb of Darkness #18.
- This is the first issue of the series that does not feature a head-shot of Headstone P. Gravely in the upper right corner.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Chamber of Darkness Vol 1 3 on the forums
- Images from Chamber of Darkness Vol 1 3
- Adventure into Fear #10-22
- Chamber of Darkness #1-8
- Creatures on the Loose #10-37
- Fear #1-9
- Monsters on the Prowl #9-30
- Tower of Shadows #1-9
- Where Monsters Dwell #1-38
Links and References
- Chamber of Darkness article at Wikipedia
- Digger article at Wikipedia
- Digger profile at the Marvel Universe