For other versions of Dan Dare, see the disambiguation page.
Injured in a reactor explosion, space hero Dan Dare was awoken from suspended animation decades into his own future, given cosmetic surgery to restore his damaged face (leaving him looking literally like a new man) and placed in charge of a group of tough spacers on a mission to explore the so-called 'Lost Worlds'. Eventually though, Dare's crew were wiped out and his space fort destroyed, and Dare found himself under the mental domination of his oldest foe, the Mekon.
Breaking free, Dare acquired the powerful artifact known as Eternicus, the Cosmic Claw (which he wore as a gauntlet) and challenged the Mekon. He was last seen on the run from the Galactic authorities having been framed by his old foe.
Eternicus, the Cosmic Claw.
This version of Dare, supposedly the original in a revamped form, was abandoned by 2000 AD in 1980. He was last seen being erased from existence by Tharg in the spoof strip 'Tharg's Head Revisited' in 2000 AD prog 500.
- Artists who have worked on this version of Dan Dare include Massimo Belardinelli, Dave Gibbons, Garry Leach and Brian Lewis.
- The writers of this Dare included Chris Lowder and Tom Tully.
- This version of Dan starred in two editions of the Dan Dare Annual, in 1979 and 1980.
- Appearances of Dan Dare (2000AD)
- Images featuring Dan Dare (2000AD)
- Quotations by or about Dan Dare (2000AD)
- Character Gallery: Dan Dare (2000AD)