Darkstars were equipped with a powersuit called an "exo-mantle". There were four distinct models:
A toned down version of the original armor, with less powerful maser blasts, was created because Network for the Establishment and Maintenance of Order (NEMO) felt that primitive races could not be entrusted with the standard version with out proving themselves. It was slightly different in design, lacking the shoulder ornaments of the standard version.
Alternate universe armor
When Ferrin Colos was sucked into a miniature universe, he fought an evil version of himself. He joined the resistance, led by good versions of his old enemies Jeddigar and K'lassh. After joining them, he was provided with the miniature universe's version of the exo-mantle. This armor had more powerful masers, but using it required much more concentration than the old armor.
After the Controllers took their hands off the Darkstar project, Director Stewart designed a new mantle. This version was not reliant on Controllers for energy and did not have Jeddigar's failsafes. However, these exo-mantles were time consuming to construct. When Grayven began to hunt down the Darkstars, Stewart could only muster seventeen Darkstars with functioning armor for a counter-offensive.
All versions of the exo-mantle granted the user:
- Flight: The wearer could achieve high speeds during flight, all the while protected from wind friction by the force field.
- Kinetic energy absorbtion: The exo-mantle could withstand direct attacks and siphon energy from others beings.
- Superhuman Strength: The exo-mantle greatly improved the natural strength of the wearer.
- Twin Masers: The exo-mantle came equipped with twin maser units capable of firing energy bolts from the wearer's hands. Darkstars were often surgically altered to gain instant maser control, rather than the split-second delay in reaction time when wearing the deputy version of the exo-mantle.
- Since the exo-mantle served as the uniform for the Darkstars, it appeared in all stories featuring members of the organization.
- The appearances of the Darkstars as an organization only fall within the New Earth continuity.
- A variation of the design was used for a legacy character in Kingdom Come (1996). This character was later used in related stories with its home continuity referred to as Earth-22.
- No trivia.
- 70 Appearances of Darkstar Exo-Mantle
- Media Darkstar Exo-Mantle was Mentioned in
- Images featuring Darkstar Exo-Mantle
- Item Gallery: Darkstar Exo-Mantle
Links and References