This page may contain some of the same content as the DC Database article. A more complete and current article is at the DC Comics Database David Clark (New Earth).
- See how cynical becoming a real fearless avenger of evil deeds and eerie friend of the needy makes you?
- -- Midnight src
After signing off from his radio show, David Clark headed home and witnessed a twelve-story building crashing down. He investigated the shoddy construction and realized that the Carleton Construction Company cared more about profits than human lives, as twenty people were killed in the incident. It was this injustice which caused David to don a simple mask, a dark suit and crash Mr. Carleton's gala party as Midnight.
At the gala, he forced the partygoers, at gunpoint, to hand over their cash in order to help with the hospital bills for the victims of the collapsed building. He would once again save people from Carleton's greed, when he uncovered information about the construction company sabotaging the Tri-State Dam.
David continued to be an eerie friend of the needy under his "mystery man" status, and would later gain two eccentric partners; an absentminded inventor named Doc Wackey and a talking monkey named Gabby.
Nothing is known of his fate after 1949.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Visocope: A TV monitor which locates crimes.
- Vacuum Gun: His only weapon is his secret vacuum gun. An automatic that throws a suction cup which is connected to a self-winding reel of fine silk cord, strong enough to hold a man's weight.
- Midnight was intended as a simple replacement for Will Eisner's The Spirit. The Spirit was owned by Will Eisner, and the publishers at Quality Comics were afraid that Eisner might die on the front lines of WWII. So, Quality commissioned a similar character that could be substituted in The Spirit's place. Thankfully, Eisner survived the war, and continued to draw the Spirit, eclipsing his replacement, Midnight.
- 20 Appearances of David Clark (New Earth)
- Images featuring David Clark (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about David Clark (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: David Clark (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.