Appearing in "The Brotherhood of Evil"Edit
- Brotherhood of Evil (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Brotherhood of Evil"Edit
The Doom Patrol, not knowing when the Chief's real birthday is, decide to throw a surprise party for him, designating that day as his birthday. This touches the Chief who doesn't tell them that they actually planned this on his real date of birth. Later, Rita takes a look into Larry's room and marvels at how he has metal walls before leaving. This upsets Larry because he has developed feelings for Rita and figures she could never love a freak like him.
After a series of thefts of scientific devices, including some the Chief invented for moon missions are stolen by a giant robot named Rog (piloted by mad scientist named Morden) the Doom Patrol is sent out to capture the robot. They find Rog as it is being used to destroy a bridge, however during their fight against Morden and Rog, the robot manages to grab hold of both Larry and Cliff forcing Rita to allow Morden to escape with Rog in exchange for her comrades lives. After this failed attempt, a call is placed to a Madame Rouge, a teacher in an all-girls school in France from her "cousin Rog" prompting her to excuse her class and enter a secret passageway. As it turns out, Rouge is actually a member of a criminal organization called the Brotherhood of Evil, which also consists of the Brain, a living brain in a jar, and Monsieur Mallah, a super-intelligent ape. Morden had come to them to proposition for membership of the organization offering them Rog as a good faith gesture.
Convinced that Morden could be a good addition to the Brotherhood, the Brain sends Morden and Mallah back to the United States to use Rog for their next crime: To steal and ransom off the Statue of Liberty. Their attempt is once more opposed by the Doom Patrol, who manage to fight Rog and prevent the robot from taking the Statue. When Rita knocks the robot down, Robotman notices that there is a gorilla inside, and soon finds he's attacked by the savage as well as the intelligent Monsieur Mallah. As Cliff fights off Mallah, Rita manages to damage Rog into inactivity. Mallah and Morden manage to escape when they tell the Doom Patrol that they rigged the Statue of Liberty with a bomb that will go off soon. Choosing to save the statue, the Doom Patrol find that the bomb was really a dud made to keep them occupied while the two villains could escape.Later, the Chief tells Larry that he's pushing his luck by trying to help the others and keeping his Negative Man form out of his body too long. Rita expresses concern for Larry and says she wouldn't know what to do if he were to die. Alone in his room, Larry begins to remove his bandages, believing that if Rita ever saw what he really looked like under them, she wouldn't care about him.
Appearing in "A Medal for Go-Buggy 3"Edit
Synopsis for "A Medal for Go-Buggy 3"Edit
An American astronaut, rescued from his capsule's crash landing on a remote island, is believed to have been changed by a nuclear blast into a tornado-like creature. Actually, the creature is a transformed Japan survivor of World War II impersonating the astronaut.
- The origins of Elasti-girl, Nagative Man, Robotman and the Doom Patrol are retold in a brief flashback.
- My Greatest Adventures becomes The Doom Patrol with this issue
- The Chief celebrates his birthday in this issue.
- This month's issue features the first appearance of the Brotherhood of Evil. Co-incidentally, this month's issue of Marvel's X-Men introduces the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
- "The Brotherhood of Evil" is reprinted in Super-Team Family #7, DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #19 and Doom Patrol Archives, Volume 1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Doom Patrol Vol 1 86 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Doom Patrol series
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Doom Patrol at Wikipedia.org
- Doom Patrol at Cosmic Teams
- Doom Patrol at the DCU Guide
- Doom Patrol at Titans Tower
- Patrol Doom Patrol at Arkhampedia
- Doom Patrol at TV Tropes
- Doom Patrol Fansite