Appearing in "Blitzkrieg at Buffalo"Edit
Synopsis for "Blitzkrieg at Buffalo"Edit
The Freedom Fighters seemingly defeat the Silver Ghost and free his captive, Martha Roberts. District Attorney Pearson is murdered and Doll Man is found holding a smoking gun.
The Crusaders fought among themselves until finally, after being deserted by the Americommando, they reveal their origins. The Crusaders explain the the Americommando had approached a group of young comic collectors at a convention (Marvin, Lennie, Arch and Roy) and offered to use his technology to turn them into copies of his former teammates. There was never an explanation of how the Silver Ghost gained super-strength or developed the technology to turn comic fans into superheroes. It is mentioned in the following issue that the Crusaders powers faded away following the events of this issue.
- The Americommando featured here is not to be confused with Mister America's alter ego, also called the Americommando.
- The Crusaders is the name used by two teams of superheroes, one group appearing in DC Comics and the other in Marvel Comics, at around the same time as part of an informal crossover. The DC Comics team was created by Bob Rozakis and Dick Ayers in the pages of Freedom Fighters #7. The Marvel Comics version of the Crusaders first appeared in Invaders #14, written by Roy Thomas and drawn by Frank Robbins.
- The names of the DC team are actually taken from relatively obscure Golden Age DC Superheroes. The characters have counterparts in Marvel's Invaders:
- The Americommando - (based on Captain America, actually the Silver Ghost)
- Barracuda - (based on Namor)
- Fireball - (based on the Human Torch)
- Rusty - (based on Bucky)
- Sparky - (based on Toro)
- Updated versions of Americommando and Barracuda have since appeared in the miniseries Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters 2006-2007, as part of the team called First Strike. However, it's doubtful that their Pre-Crisis history is still canonical.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Freedom Fighters (comics) at Wikipedia.org
- Freedom Fighters at Cosmic Teams
- Freedom Fighters at Toonopedia
- Freedom Fighters at TV Tropes