|Merrie Melodies (Daffy Duck) series|
|Directed by||Friz Freleng (uncredited)|
|Produced by||Edward Selzer (uncredited)|
|Story by||Michael Maltese|
Richard Bickenbach (uncredited)
|Music by||Carl Stalling|
|Layouts by||Hawley Pratt|
|Backgrounds by||Paul Julian|
|Studio||Warner Bros. Cartoons|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Release date(s)||June 22, 1946 (USA)|
|Running time||7 minutes|
The film begins with a pack of wolves howling in the center of Hollywood (a pun on the greed of Hollywood executives, often called "wolves" in those days). Daffy, having travelled to Hollywood, attempts to get into the "Warmer Bros." studio to see movie stars. However, the abrasive Keystone Kops-like security guard with a Joe Besser like voice will not let him pass through the gate. After unsuccessfully endeavoring to enter the studio by way of various disguises and being thrown out each time, culminating with Daffy posing as a Film director, but ultimately this disguise is exposed as well. Daffy finally declares that he won't leave until he literally "sees [movie] stars." The guard agrees to figuratively show him the stars, then bashes Daffy over the head and throws him out of the studio, where the dazed Daffy can see all the stars he wants...circling his head.
Hollywood celebrities featured in the cartoon
- Daffy claims he would love to meet Lauren Bacall.
- Bette Davis and Johnny Weissmuller (swinging from a vine dressed as Tarzan) are both allowed to enter the studio by the cop, because they're employees of the studio.
- Daffy disguises himself as Charlie Chaplin, Jimmy Durante and Bing Crosby and an Academy Award statue. When the cop questions whether Daffy is really an Oscar Daffy dares him to ask H.J. Whitley to acknowledge this. Whitley was a real estate developer, widely considered to be the "father of Hollywood".
- When Daffy drives the cop thru Hollywood he passes next to the houses of Abbott and Costello (with the same shape as their bodies), Ann Sheridan (surrounded with several bear traps) and Jimmy Durante (whose house has the same shape as his famous large nose), who has one of Sheridan's bear trap on his leg.
- Jack Benny is seen trying to get an Oscar by playing a gaming machine.
- Daffy compares the cop with Errol Flynn
- When Daffy literally sees stars after being hit on the head he claims that he recognizes Hedy Lamarr, Alexis Smith, Dorothy Lamour, Baby Snooks and Ann Sheridan.
- List of Daffy Duck cartoons
- Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 5
- Felix in Hollywood
- Mother Goose Goes Hollywood
- Mickey's Gala Premier
- The Autograph Hound
- Slick Hare
- Mickey's Polo Team
- What's Cookin' Doc?
|This Merrie Melodies–related article is a stub. You can help the Crossgen Database by expanding it.|