- If I'm correct, none shall die! ...But if I am wrong, find Dejah Thoris... and tell her my last thoughts were of her!
- -- John Carter Warlord of Mars src
John Carter was born in the state of Virginia in the early 1800s. He attended West Point military academy, and subsequently served as a cavalry soldier for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. In March of 1866, John Carter and his fellow officer Captain James K. Powell were journeying through the hills of Arizona when they were set upon by a tribe of Apache warriors. Powell was felled by Apache arrows, and John scooped him up and sought refuge inside of a cave in the mountain pass. For reasons unknown, the Apaches were fearful of the mountain pass and would not cross it. Captain Powell died in John's arms, and minutes later, John mysteriously fell unconscious. His astral self separated itself from his body and he instantly found himself transported 35 million miles away from Earth. John's essence reconstituted itself on the planet Mars.
On Mars, John discovered that the planet's lower gravity enabled to perform fantastic physical feats of strength. He soon found himself involved in the ongoing struggles of the world's native populace, the Tharks. John befriended a Thark warrior named Tars Tarkas and soon met the beautiful princess of the red people, Dejah Thoris.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Immortality: He is possibly immortal. It is unknown exactly how many years he has spent on the planet Mars, but so long as he remains on the world, he ceases to age.
- Enhanced Strength: He is able to perform great feats of strength due to the differences in gravity between Mars and Earth. His strength and agility are greatly enhanced, and he can execute a standing leap thirty feet into the air.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): John is a master at hand-to-hand combat and weapons training. He has demonstrated his martial prowess many times over, and has successfully fought and defeated multiple Thark opponents at one time.
- Two Colt revolvers, a carbine and a cavalry sabre (standard military issue of the CSA during the mid 1800s)
- Template:Adapted character
- The character of John Carter was created by pulp novelist Edgar Rice Burroughs. He first appeared in the 1917 novel A Princess of Mars. Burroughs' book was the first of his famous Barsoom series. It was also Burroughs' first novel, predating his Tarzan stories. He wrote it between July and September 28, 1911, going through four working titles; initially, he was going to call it My First Adventure on Mars, then The Green Martians, Dejah Thoris, Martian Princess, and finally Under the Moons of Mars.
- DC Comics licensed the character from Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. during the early 1970s and he appeared, usually as a back-up feature, in such titles as Tarzan of the Apes, Tarzan Family, Korak, Son of Tarzan and Weird Worlds. Carter also appeared in the America's Best Comics series The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He was one of several pulp literary figures appearing in a back-up feature titled "Allan and the Sundered Veil".
- 12 Appearances of John Carter (Earth-ERB)
- Images featuring John Carter (Earth-ERB)
- 1 Quotations by or about John Carter (Earth-ERB)
- Character Gallery: John Carter (Earth-ERB)
- John Carter at dccomics.com
- John Carter (character) at Wikipedia.org
- John Carter article at the Marvel Database Project