|Headquarters location||San Francisco, California|
|Nonfiction topics||Comics, Music, Art|
thumb|right|'Lunch with Ron Turner', 2007. Founded in 1970 by Ron Turner to publish the ecologically-themed comics magazine Slow Death Funnies, followed by the all-female anthology It Ain't Me Babe, Last Gasp soon became a major part of the underground comics/comix movement. Notable artists published by Last Gasp include Tim Biskup, Robert Crumb, Richard Corben, Ron English, Camille Rose Garcia, Justin Green, Bill Griffith, Spain Rodriguez, Mark Ryden, Dori Seda, Larry Welz, Robert Williams, and S. Clay Wilson. In the early 1980s Last Gasp published some of the first books about the West Coast punk rock scene.
Today Last Gasp publishes few comic books, though they have published English-language versions of some manga titles, including Barefoot Gen, Pure Trance and Town of Evening Calm. The company publishes art and photography books, graphic novels, fiction, and poetry. Last Gasp operates as a publisher, distributor, and wholesaler for books of all types, often with a lowbrow art and counterculture focus.
This is a partial list of underground comix published by Last Gasp.
- American Surreal
- Despite Everything: A Cometbus Omnibus, 2002, ISBN 0-86719-561-4
- The Cunt Coloring Book
- Dead Kennedys: The Unauthorized Version, by F. Stop Fitzgerald and Marian Kester (1983) ISBN 0-86719-312-3
- StreetArt: The Punk Poster in San Francisco 1977-1981
- Hardcore California: A History of Punk and New Wave
- Notes From the Pop Underground
- Turntable Timmy, written by Michael Perry and illustrated by Doug Cunningham
- Zippy Stories, by Bill Griffith, 1986. ISBN 0-86719-325-5
- ↑ "On the Town: with Ron Turner" SF Chronicle, April 29, 2007
- ↑ "F A Q." Last Gasp Books. Retrieved on July 30, 2012. "Last Gasp 777 Florida Street San Francisco, CA 94110"
- ↑ Ron Turner at Michigan State University Libraries
- ↑ R. Crumb: Conversations by Robert Crumb & D. K. Holm. University Press of Mississippi, 2004 ISBN 978-1-57806-637-7 (p. 93)
- ↑ A history of underground comics, Mark James Estren. Ronin Publishing, 1992 ISBN 978-0-914171-64-5 (p. 254)
- ↑ "Last Gasp Hero" The Wave Magazine
Category:Comic book publishing companies of the United States Category:Companies based in San Francisco Category:Underground comix Category:Publishing companies established in 1970 Category:1970 establishments in California Category:Last Gasp