|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2013)|
|Born|| March 30, 1957|
Brooklyn, New York
|Other names||Brian Simpson|
Lewis Schaffer is an American comedian. He is now based in London where he moved in 2000. He currently hosts his own weekly radio show on Resonance FM 104.4FM in London entitled "Nunhead American Radio with Lewis Schaffer" and has two solo stand-up comedy shows in London, "Lewis Schaffer is Free until Famous" and "Lewis Schaffer: American in London". He was the first comic to tour a "free admission" show in theatres and art centres across the United Kingdom.
"Free until Famous" in London
Lewis Schaffer performs his show "Free until Famous" twice weekly at the Source Below in Soho, London. His show is the "longest running solo stand-up show in London and perhaps all of Britain", running in excess of 350 performances since its inception in October 2008.
"Lewis Schaffer: American in London"
Lewis Schaffer performs his show "Lewis Schaffer: American in London" every Sunday at the Leicester Square Theatre in London, charging for admission.
Edinburgh Fringe Stunt
In 2009, he announced as a publicity stunt that he would be sponsoring the Edinburgh festival comedy awards that had previously been called the if.comedy or Perrier awards. He claimed he had purchased the naming-rights to the awards for "£99 with his mother as a judge". This was reported as fact in various publications and lead to threat of a lawsuit from the award's rights holder and being fired by his theatrical agents.
- Fleming, John. "So it Goes - John Fleming". Wordpress,com. http://thejohnfleming.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/the-unnecessarily-old-lewis-schaffer-his-secret-sex-scandal-and-his-apparently-never-ending-comedy-show/. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "The Stage, 16 June 2009". http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/feature.php/24733/chit-chat-stunt-runner.
- "Chortle, 19 June 2009". http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2009/06/19/9117/oh!_what_a_hedgehog.
- "The Stage, 26 June 2009". http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/feature.php/24846/dont-rely-on-a-cunning-stunt.
- Brown, Angie (28 August 2009). "BBC News, 28 August 2009". http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8226733.stm. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "British Comedy Guide, August 2009". http://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2010/features/malcolm_hardee_award_nominees_2010/. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- Official website
- The Source Below - home of Lewis Schaffer's Free until Famous
- London is Funny "New king of Soho"
- The Guardian (UK) Profile
- The Scotsman Review
- BBC News reporting Cunning Stunt Award
- Chortle.co.uk biography
- Fest Magazine Edinburgh Fringe Festival Review
- London Evening Standard Review
- The Argus, Brighton Review
- Resonance FM and "Voice of Americans with Lewis Schaffer of Nunhead"