First season DVD box set cover
Comic science fiction
Adam Trevor Grant |
Joseph Louis Grant
|Developed by||Andy Rex|
Adam Trevor Grant |
Joseph Louis Grant
Dan Fausett |
David Brauton (season 1) |
Andy Rex (season 2)
Charlie Schlatter |
Kevin Michael Richardson
|Narrated by||Candi Milo|
|Composer(s)||Thomas Chase Jones|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Sander Schwartz|
Ron Myrick |
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Original channel||Kids' WB|
|Original run||September 17, 2005– May 5, 2007|
Loonatics Unleashed is an American animated series produced by Warner Bros. Animation that ran on the Kids' WB for two seasons from 2005 to 2007 in the United States, Teletoon in Canada, Kids Central (now known as Okto) in Singapore, Cartoon Network's Boomerang in Australia, Cartoon Network in the UK, Southeast Asia and Latin America, and XHGC in Mexico. It is still broadcasting on Clan TVE.
The series was based/inspired on the Looney Tunes cartoon characters, with the series described by Warner Bros. as an "action-comedy." Loonatics Unleashed is meant to be a mixture of the Looney Tunes shorts' irreverent style of humor and a modern action animated series, with the characters designed in an more action cartoon inspired style. Unlike previous Looney Tunes-related shows, Loonatics Unleashed has a darker tone and takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting, as well as multiple minor story arcs.
The series of Loonatics Unleashed occur in the year 2772, the year that a meteor strikes the fictional city-planet of Acmetropolis, knocking it completely off its original axis. However, instead of destroying the planet, the meteor crashes in a waterfront and causes six young adult/teenage inhabitants to be genetically altered with superpowers. A mysterious and powerful woman called Zadavia calls upon six of the affected residents to form a team of superheroes. She becomes their commander, dispatching them for the purpose of combating any and all threats to Acmetropolis and its citizens. The newly formed team is known as the Loonatics and reside on the 134th floor of a large tower. These characters are the descendants of the classic Looney Tunes characters, according to multiple press releases and official sources. Descendants of other Looney Tunes are unverified, though implied in certain situations.
It is later revealed that Zadavia is in fact an alien and had used her powers to knock the meteor slight off course, preventing the total destruction of the planet. It is also revealed that it is no accident that the meteor struck Acmetropolis, but it was a deliberate attempt to destroy the city planet by Optimatus, a mysterious figure later revealed to be Zadavia's older brother.
The Second Season the show takes on a lighter tone and many more descendants of other Looney Tunes character are introduced, the majority of which only appear once in the series. The more super villain type characters from the previous season rarely appear or are mentioned. Zadavia also stops being a mysterious figure and regularly participates with the Loonatics in their adventures. Two more aliens from Zadavia's home planet are also introduced, Deuce and Keyboard Man. In the season's finale, the Loonatics are temporarily joined with Sylth Vester and Optimatus is replaced by Deuce as the series arch villain.
- Ace Bunny: descendant of Bugs Bunny. Before the meteor hit the city, Ace worked a stunt rabbit in the movies.
- Lexi Bunny: descendant of Lola Bunny. Before the meteor hit the city, Lexi was trying out to become a cheerleader at a high school, implying that she might be the youngest of the Loonatics.
- Danger Duck: descendant of Daffy Duck. Before the meteor hit the city, Duck employed as a pool boy.
- Slam Tasmanian: descendant of the Tasmanian Devil. Before the meteor hit the city, Slam was a fighter in a ring.
- Tech E. Coyote: descendant of Wile E. Coyote. Before the meteor hit the city, Tech was a college student that got kicked out for over-explaining his own genius instead of running his experiments.
- Rev Runner: the Road Runner's descendant. Before the meteor hit the city, Rev was a delivery boy.
Principal Voice Actors
- Charlie Schlatter - Ace Bunny
- Jessica DiCicco - Lexi Bunny
- Jason Marsden - Danger Duck, Rupes Oberon
- Candi Milo - Zadavia, Harriet Runner, Misty Breeze, Queen Grannicus
- Rob Paulsen - Rev Runner, Gorlop, Mr. Leghorn (2nd Time)
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Slam Tasmanian, Tech E. Coyote
- Charlie Adler - Optimatus
- Joe Alaskey - Melvin the Martian, Sylth Vester, Royal Tweetums, Stoney the Stone
- Dee Bradley Baker - Otto the Odd
- Jeff Bennett - Professor Zane, Dr. Fidel Chroniker
- Bob Bergen - Pinkster Pig
- Dan Castellaneta - Additional voices
- Bootsy Collins - Boötes Belinda
- Jim Cummings - Additional voices
- Kaley Cuoco - Weather Vane
- Tim Curry - Ringmaster
- Grey DeLisle - Apocazons
- Michael Clarke Duncan - Massive
- Jeannie Elias - Additional voices
- Bill Farmer - Mr. Leghorn (1st Time)
- David Faustino - Time Skip
- Vivica A. Fox - Black Velvet
- Mark Hamill - Adolpho
- Florence Henderson - Mallory Mastermind
- Mikey Kelley - Rip Runner
- Tom Kenny - Gunnar the Conqueror
- Maurice LaMarche - Ophiuchus Sam, Pierre Le Pew
- Phil LaMarr - Drake Sypher
- Daran Norris - Alien Dad, Ralph Runner
- Khary Payton - General Deuce
- Cree Summer - Additional voices
- James Arnold Taylor - Bugsy the Bug
- Simon Templeman - Dr. Dare
- Billy West - Electro J. Fudd, Sagittarius Stomper
- Serena Williams - Queen Athena
|DVD name||Release date||Ep #||Additional information|
|The Complete First Season||March 13, 2007||13||Features: Loonatics Unleashed: Villain Invasion.|
|The Complete Second Season||August 14, 2007||13||No Additional Features.|
- ↑ George Gene Gustines (2005-06-06). "It's 2772. Who Loves Ya, Tech E. Coyote?". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/arts/television/06loon.html. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Loonatics Unleashed|
- Official website
- Loonatics Unleashed at Internet Movie Database
- Loonatics Unleashed at TV.com
- "Loonatics Promo Short Gives First Look at New Series"
- National Public Radio Talk of the Nation interview about Loonatics Unleashed
- Loonatic Unleashed Teletoon Site