|Marvin & Family|
|Current status / schedule||Running|
|Syndicate(s)||King Features Syndicate|
Marvin & Family is a daily Newspaper comic strip created by cartoonist Tom Armstrong and distributed in the U.S. by Hearst's King Features Syndicate. It debuted in 1982. It revolves around the life and times of a young baby boy named Marvin, his father and mother, Jeff and Jenny Miller, and their dog Bitsy. Other characters include Megan, Marvin's cousin; Janet, who is Megan's mother and Jenny's sister (she and her husband were divorced); Ming Ming, Janet's adopted daughter from China; Bea and Roy, Marvin's grandparents; Bea and Roy's schnauzer named Junior; and Roy's pill-addict friend Bernie. Prior to 2013 the strip's name was simply Marvin.
In 1989, CBS aired a special, "Marvin, Baby of the Year."
In 2010, the Millers got new neighbors, the Purfects, who are so perfect they make the Millers feel inadequate. Rodney Purfect has a Ph.D. and is a company president, has won the Heisman Trophy and climbed Mount Kiliminjaro. He is six feet five inches tall and very manly. Barbie Purfect is a housewife who attended cooking school in Paris, was a cheerleader, class president and sorority president. Rodney Perfect II is two and a half but reads at a third grade level, performed his Piano composition for Queen Elizabeth II and was potty trained at 6 months.
Jeff has a macho friend, Ted.
In 2005, Marvin guest starred in the comic strip Blondie for their 75th anniversary.
Creator Tom Armstrong has made what some fans consider not so subtle changes to the strip's character design including changes to the faces and even changing the size of the characters' noses, In one e-mail to a fan Armstrong explains why he made these changes.
There was an earlier strip named Marvin, which was created by Pat Moran and syndicated in 1973.
- "Marvin". DailyINK. http://dailyink.com/features/Marvin. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. December 8, 2008, King Features Syndicate.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. March 30, 2010, King Features Syndicate.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. December 12, 2008, King Features Syndicate.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. August 15, 2010, King Features Syndicate.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. May 22, 2011, King Features Syndicate.
- Tom Armstrong (c). Marvin. May 9, 2014, King Features Syndicate.
- Schwarz, Rick (June 10, 2003). "Google Contributor posts email from Marvin creator Tom Armstrong". http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.strips/browse_thread/thread/8aef655fcc3d4845/51ff0fd1879562eb?#51ff0fd1879562eb. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Strickler, Dave. Syndicated Comic Strips and Artists, 1924-1995: The Complete Index. Cambria, California: Comics Access, 1995. ISBN 0-9700077-0-1
|This comic strip-related article is a stub. You can help the Crossgen Database by expanding it.|