- Can't keep messin' with these boys -- I gotta find the spy who's holdin' Defense Packet Six --
Appearing in "The Man With the Opened Eye"Edit
- Gravedigger's shovel
- Various German and British tanks
Synopsis for "The Man With the Opened Eye"Edit
The Gravedigger leads a band of nomads on a raid across the Egyptian desert. Gravedigger's primary concern is to intercept a Nazi convoy and procure a top-secret document called Defense Packet Six, before the Nazis can transfer it to the high command. As they trek, they are nearly taken out by a squad of British tanks, supposedly firing blind. The Gravedigger soon discovers that the Nazi spy he is looking for, Eric Vonking, also known as the "Man with the Opened Eye", is commanding one of the British tanks.
To complicate matters, a division of German Tigers appears over the horizon. Vonker fires upon the Germans and Gravedigger and the Nomads are caught in the middle. The Vonker is using the conflagration as a diversion to transfer Defense Packet Six to his superiors.Gravedigger leaps atop one of the tigers and prepares to drop a grenade into the hatch. The tank veers to the left, and Gravedigger loses his grip on the grenade and it explodes in front of him. He survives the blast, but is captured by Eric Vonker. The Nazi ties him to the barrel of one of the German tanks.
Appearing in "Wolf Pack"Edit
- Captain Robert Daley (Flashback and main story)
- U.S. submarine
- German U-boat
Synopsis for "Wolf Pack"Edit
A Nazi U-boat torpedoes a merchant ship that makes up part of a supply line bound for England. Guarding the Allied convoy is an American submarine commanded by Captain Robert Daley. Despite the consternation of his crew, Daley decides to keep a low profile until he can into a more strategic position. He dives the ship low so that it comes to rest on the ocean floor, hoping that the U-boat will pass over top of him. The tactic only works for a brief period of time before the Nazis learn Daley's position and turn about. Daley dons a deep sea diving suit and swims to the other ship where he plants a magnetic charge. The explosion sinks the sub, and Daley manages to grab onto one seaman named Anton and take him prisoner. He brings the Nazi back aboard his ship where his XO, Taggert, begins beating on him.
Another U-boat appears and gives chase. Daley navigates his sub through a narrow underwater cave, hoping that his ship's maneuverability is better than the Germans. The German sub cannot negotiate the tight passage and explodes after tearing open its hull on the rocks.As the crew celebrate, the captured officer, Anton, produces a firearm and holds it at Commander Taggert. Daley pulls out a knife and throws it, stabbing the German in the neck. With this bit of nastiness out of the way, the crew catch up with the rest of the convoy.
Appearing in "The Sentry"Edit
- Unnamed sentry
- Abraham Lincoln
- Unnamed General (possibly General Grant)
Synopsis for "The Sentry"Edit
During the American Civil War, a young Yankee soldier stands his post. He has been guarding his territory for quite some time and grows tired, eventually falling asleep against a tree. Two men approach him and jostle him awake. The second man, a Northern general, feels that the sentry should be shot for falling asleep. The first man, who happens to be president Abraham Lincoln, feels that the war has cost too many lives as it is, and they cannot afford to kill soldiers for every slight.
- Issue includes an advertisement for Hostess Fruit Pies featuring Superman in "The Ionic Storm".
- "The Man With the Opened Eye" takes place in the year 1942.
- Although the year for "The Sentry" is never provided, the story takes place some time between 1861-1865.
- Captain Robert Daley from "Wolf Pack" is not to be confused with Bob Daley, the Golden Age sidekick of Tex Thompson.
- "Battle Lines" letters column includes a letter from writer Robin Snyder.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Men of War Vol 1 15 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Men of War series
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Men of War series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Men of War series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks