HistoryEditLouis Crandell was working as a lab assistant to Dr Barringer when an accident took his right hand. Barringer replaced the hand with a sophisticated prosthetic, but another accident unhinged Crandell while also giving him the power to turn invisible if he received an electric shock, only his steel hand remaining visible. The deranged Crandell used this not terribly practical power to commit crimes until the balance of his mind was restored and he became a crimefighter, working for a Government agency called the Shadow Squad against threats such as the Ka-Magnon. Eventually, he resigned and, after a brief career as a costumed superhero and then stints as a detective and a bounty hunter, relocated to South America where he continued to battle against injustice.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Crandell can become invisible for short periods of time if he receives an electric shock. His metal hand, however, remains visible.
Various tools and a radio transmitter/receiver, all built into his hand. The Claw can also be removed and operated by remote control.
Mini-missiles and knockout gas built into his hand.
- The Steel Claw first appeared in IPC's Valiant on 6th October 1962, and had a lengthy and more or less uninterrupted run until 1975, in both Valiant and other titles. From 1975, the series was reprinted in Vulcan and in 2000AD Sci-Fi Special.
- The steel Claw has been reprinted extensively throughtout the world, particularly in Europe. In the 1980s, Quality Comics made a Steel Claw reprint series available in the USA.
- Alternate versions of the Steel Claw appeared in Grant Morrison's Zenith series in 2000 AD and (as 'The Iron Tallon') in Alan Moore's Captain Britain series for Marvel UK. More recently, he was revived by US publishers Wildstorm (an imprint of DC Comics) in the 2005-2006 limited series Albion.
- Appearances of Steel Claw
- Images featuring Steel Claw
- Quotations by or about Steel Claw
- Character Gallery: Steel Claw