The Dropouts was a comic strip created by Post and was syndicated by United Features Syndicate from 1968 to 1981. Post began the strip at the same time his comic book Anthro was canceled. The premise of The Dropouts was a variation on the "stranded on a desert island" gag. The two main characters, Alf and Sandy, were indeed castaways, but the island is hardly deserted: One of the strips' running gags was how closely the natives' society resembled Western civilization. Other characters, all natives, included a one-man police force, a doctor and a chef running a cafe with inedible food. There were other Western characters, including a religious zealot, an angry feminist and a disheveled alcoholic, Chugalug.
- ↑ Comics Buyer's Guide #1636 (December 2007); Page 135
- ↑ "'Dropouts' cartoonist Howard Post dies in NJ at 83". Associated Press. Google News. May 24, 2010. Alternate source: "'Dropouts' cartoonist Howard Post dies in NJ at 83", Associated Press via The Washington Post, May 24, 2010
- ↑ Levin, Jay (May 24, 2010). "'The Dropouts' cartoonist Howard Post, 83, dies". The Record. Archived from the original on May 27, 2012. http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/052410_The_Dropouts_cartoonist_Howard_Post_83_dies.html. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- ↑ Spurgeon, Tom (May 24, 2010). "Howard Post, 1926-2010". The Comics Reporter. http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/howard_post_1926_2010/. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- ↑ The Dropouts at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on April 13, 2012.
- Howard Post at the Comic Book DB