|The Old Mill|
The Old Mill poster.jpg|
Poster for The Old Mill
|Directed by||Wilfred Jackson|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Music by||Leigh Harline|
|Studio||Walt Disney Productions|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
November 5, 1937 (US)October 15, 1978 (UK) (Disney London Short Film Festival)
|Running time||9 minutes|
The Old Mill is a 1937 Silly Symphonies cartoon produced by Walt Disney, directed by Wilfred Jackson, scored by Leigh Harline, and released to theatres by RKO Radio Pictures on November 5, 1937. The film depicts the natural community of animals populating an old abandoned windmill in the country, and how they deal with a severe thunderstorm that nearly destroys their habitat. It incorporates the song "One Day When We Were Young" from Johann Strauss II's operetta The Gypsy Baron.
Like many of the later Silly Symphonies, The Old Mill was a testing-ground for advanced animation techniques. Marking the first use of Disney's multiplane camera, the film also incorporates realistic depictions of animal behavior, complex lighting and color effects, depictions of rain, wind, lightning, ripples, splashes and reflections, three-dimensional rotation of detailed objects, and the use of timing to produce specific dramatic and emotional effects. All of the lessons learned from making The Old Mill would subsequently be incorporated into Disney's feature-length animated films, especially 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Awards and accolades
- The Old Mill won the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subjects: Cartoons.
- It is ranked at IMDb as the 46th most popular short film ever.
- It was included as #14 in the book The 50 Greatest Cartoons As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals.
Disney California Adventure
The three mills from the short were seen in miniature on the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride at Disneyland. Beginning December 20, 2014, they were replaced by landmarks from Disney's Frozen. The miniature windmills were put into storage by Walt Disney Imagineering.
- ↑ Thomas, Bob. Walt Disney: An American Original. Simon & Schuster, 1976, p. 134.
- ↑ The Old Mill at Internet Movie Database
- ↑ Most Popular Short Films, IMDb
- ↑ Slater, Shawn (December 5, 2014). "New ‘Frozen Fun’ Opens at Disneyland Resort January 7". Disney Parks Blog. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/12/new-frozen-fun-opens-at-disneyland-resort-january-7/. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- ↑ Disneyland Paris - The Old Mill
- ↑ yourdisneylandparis.co.uk - Snacks
- ↑ Calonge, Juan (December 10, 2010). "Bambi Diamond Edition Blu-ray Detailed". Blu-ray.com. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5600. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- ↑ Collin, Robbie (2 August 2013). "Studio Ghibli: Japan's dream factory". Telegraph Media Group Limited. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10204140/Studio-Ghibli-Japans-dream-factory.html. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- The Old Mill at Internet Movie Database
Category:1937 films Category:Disney animated short films Category:Best Animated Short Academy Award winners Category:Silly Symphonies Category:American animated films Category:Films directed by Wilfred Jackson Category:1937 animated films