|Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse|
Cover to Volume 1, Race to Death Valley
|Publication date||June 2011|
Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse (also The Floyd Gottfredson Library) is a series of books collecting the first 25 years of the 45-year span of work by Floyd Gottfredson on the daily Mickey Mouse comic strip. The strips are reproduced from Disney proof sheets and artwork from private collections.
The strip debuted on January 13, 1930, and was initially written by Walt Disney and drawn by Ub Iwerks. Gottfredson took over the strip when Disney and Iwerks found themselves too busy, and he continued with it until 1975. These volumes start with Gottfredson's work from April 1, 1930, while including the Disney/Iwerks strips in an appendix to the first volume. The series is uncensored, and as the strips were done in the 1930s, some of the strips may come across as offensive to modern readers, especially due to racial stereotypes that were common at the time. As presented in the books, however, the more dated material is accompanied by explanatory text, putting it in the context of its historical time.
Gottfredson's run on Mickey Mouse lasted until 1975. In the earlier years, which are the focus of this series, it was a humorous adventure strip—as was common at the time—but in the later years became gag-focused, as most strips did as comic strips continued to shrink in size throughout the latter half of the 20th century.
These books are the first time Gottfredson's work has been collected in North America, although they've previously been collected in the 1980s in Germany as The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse 1930-1955 and more recently in Italy as Gli anni d'oro di Topolino.
The hardcover volumes are designed by Jacob Covey, and are in a 10.5" x 8.75" (26.67 x 22.225 cm) landscape format. They are mostly in black-and-white, with some color pages, and each collects two years worth of strips. The strips are printed three to a page, with dozens of pages of supplementary material.
|Volume||Release order||Title||Dates||Released||Cover Art||Pages||ISBN||Notes|
|1||1||Race to Death Valley||Daily strips January 13, 1930 – January 9, 1932||June 2011||Mickey Mouse||288||978-1-606-99441-2||
|2||2||Trapped on Treasure Island||Daily strips January 11, 1932 – January 9, 1934||October 2011||Horace Horsecollar||280||978-1-606-99495-5||
|3||3||High Noon at Inferno Gulch||Daily strips January 10, 1934 – January 4, 1936||June 2012||Mickey Mouse||280||978-1-606-99531-0||
|4||4||House Of The Seven Haunts!||Daily strips January 6, 1936 – February 5, 1938||September 2012||Goofy||280||978-1-606-99575-4|
|Color 1||5||Call of the Wild||Sunday strips 1932-1935||June 2013||Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck||280||978-1-606-99643-0||
|Color 2||6||Robin Hood Rides Again||Sunday strips 1936-1938||October 2013 (subject to change)||Morty & Ferdie Fieldmouse||280||978-1-606-99686-7|
|Las Vegas Weekly|||
The series was given much praise for its production quality, the quality of the reproduction of the strips, and the extensiveness of the extra material.
- ↑ Mautner, Chris (2011-01-02). "Exclusive: Fantagraphics to publish the complete Carl Barks". Comic Book Resources. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/exclusive-fantagraphics-to-publish-the-complete-carl-barks/. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ Arrant, Chris (2011-03-03). "Fantagraphics Presents: Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse by Floyd Gottfredson". Cartoon Brew. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/biz/fantagraphics-presents-walt-disneys-mickey-mouse-by-floyd-gottfredson.html. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- ↑ Solomon, Charles (2011-04-26). "Mickey Mouse, back when he still channeled Chaplin and Astaire". Los Angeles Times. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/26/mickey-mouse-back-when-he-still-channeled-chaplin-and-astaire/#/0. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- ↑ Clabaugh, Rich (2011-06-26). "Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Vol. One: "Race to Death Valley"". The Christian Science Monitor. http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2011/0726/Walt-Disney-s-Mickey-Mouse-Vol.-One-Race-to-Death-Valley. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ Smith, Steve (2011-07-13). "Review: Mickey Mouse: Race to Death Valley". Time Out. http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/books/1687555/review-mickey-mouse-race-to-death-valley. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ Mautner, Chris (2011-06-10). "Robot Reviews | Mickey Mouse Vol. 1". Comic Book Resources. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/06/robot-reviews-mickey-mouse-vol-1/. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse 1930-1955 at the INDUCKS
- ↑ Gli anni d'oro di Topolino at the INDUCKS
- ↑ "New Floyd Gottfredson Library in Italy". Disney Comics Worldwide. 2010-04-24. http://www.wolfstad.com/dcw/blog/2010/04/new-floyd-gottfredson-library-in-italy/. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- ↑ Barret, Michael (2011-05-04). "Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse: "Race to Death Valley"". PopMatters. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/140328-walt-disneys-mickey-mouse-race-to-death-valley/. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ Mozzocco, J. Caleb (2011-06-29). "Mickey Mouse, but not as you know him". Las Vegas Weekly. http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2011/jun/29/mickey-mouse-not-you-know-him/. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- The Floyd Gottfredson Library at the INDUCKS
- Video preview of the first volume at Fantagraphics' website
- Previews of the books at Fantagraphics' website