Appearing in "Shattershot part 3: The Historians of Tales to Come"
- Spiral (Origin revealed) (Flashback and main story)
- Mojo (Flashback and main story)
- Major Domo
- Death Sponsors (Only in flashback)
- Gog N'Magog (Only in flashback) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Longshot (Only in flashback)
- X-Men (Only in flashback)
- Marvel Universe
- X-Factor's hovercar
Synopsis for "Shattershot part 3: The Historians of Tales to Come"
On Mojoworld, Major Domo explains to an apoplectic Mojo that his ratings have plummeted due to his failure to retrieve Arize. Worse, because the pirate network broadcasts on his channels, the public believes their failure to capture Arize is his fault, too. In response, Mojo sends Spiral to kill Arize. In Washington, D.C., X-Factor is eating lunch when Val announces they are going after Spiral. As Spiral was a member of Freedom Force, X-Factor’s predecessor team, Val sees stopping the villain as her responsibility. In a remote shack in South Dakota, Arize transmits Earth media to Mojoworld in order to show his people what freedom looks like. In a nearby town, Spiral has tracked Arize to the area and torments local residents until they reveal where he is. X-Factor arrives soon thereafter and finds the town in flames. Spiral teleports to Arize’s cabin and forces him outside. She reveals that he will make her in his near future and believes that, by killing him now, she will prevent that from happening. X-Factor appears and stops her. Val and the team engage her one at a time until she slashes Polaris with her swords, driving Havok to subdue her with a plasma blast. Asked to explain herself, Spiral reveals she was Ricochet Rita, Longshot’s former companion. She went with him to Mojoworld to overthrow Mojo, but their rebellion failed. Mojo had Arize transform her into Spiral and sent her back in time to battle Longshot and her younger self. She prophecies that the war with Mojo will not end for another century when the son of a human and a Mojoworld biped leads the way. Hearing this, Arize tells Spiral to teleport them back to Mojoworld so they can break the cycle of failed rebellions. Before they vanish, he asks her the name of the future leader, and she replies it is Shatterstar. Later, as X-Factor flies home, they reflect on the tragedy of Longshot’s situation and the choice Arize has made.
Appearing in "Drowning in Paperwork"
- paper monster (Dream)
Synopsis for "Drowning in Paperwork"
Val has tickets to a concert in the evening and jokes with Baldrick about evading all the paperwork she has to do. Suddenly, she seemingly receives a call from the U.S. President telling her the paperwork must be completed immediately. In actuality, the caller is Multiple Man imitating the President. Resigned to her work, Val gives her tickets to him and Wolfsbane just as he intended. Hours later, stacks of paper on Val’s desk turn into a monster and attack her, chasing her through the building. She forces it through a shredder, but then the shredded paper rises to attack her. Multiple Man wakes her up; she was dreaming. Feeling guilty, he and Wolfsbane left the concert, and he confesses to the prank he played on her. Outraged, she tells him to run and chases after him.
Appearing in "Cal and Guido"
- Cal (Single appearance)
- Moe & other bullies (Single appearance)
- Sue (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Cal and Guido"
At a school, a bully named Moe assaults a boy named Cal and steals his lunch money. Afterward, a girl tells Cal he needs a bodyguard, and he likes the idea. Cal goes to visit X-Factor, meets Strong Guy, and tries to hire him. After listening to Cal’s story, Strong Guy agrees to help. When the school day ends, Cal waits outside the building until Moe arrives to harass him. Strong Guy jumps over the fence, intimidates Moe with his size, and warns Moe to leave Cal alone. Weeks later, Strong Guy comes to check on Cal and discovers he is now harassing Moe and others, threatening to have Strong Guy come and beat them up. Angry, Strong Guy grabs Cal, warns him to stop bullying, and leaves.
- This issue is part three of the four-part "Shattershot" crossover with Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, and X-Men. The story continues from Uncanny X-Men Annual vol. 1 #16 and concludes in X-Force Annual vol. 1 #1.
- This issue is reprinted in:
- X-Factor Epic Collection vol. 7: All-New, All-Different X-Factor trade paperback (2019);
- X-Factor by Peter David Omnibus hardcover (2021).
- "The Historians of Tales to Come" is also reprinted in the X-Men: Shattershot hardcover published in 2019.
- "Drowning in Paperwork" and "Cal and Guido" are also reprinted in the X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David vol. 3 trade paperback published in 2007.
- This issue contains bonus pinups featuring:
- The comedic bit in "The Historians of Tales to Come" of X-Factor being unable to open the mayonnaise jar repeats an identical bit from X-Factor vol. 1 #71.
- Following "The Historians of Tales to Come", the plotline of Spiral and Arize working together to aid Longshot and overthrow Mojo is never followed up on, and Arize only appears again in flashbacks.
- Cal, Moe, and the unnamed girl in "Cal and Guido" are obviously based off the comic strip characters in Calvin and Hobbes. The unnamed girl was based on the supporting character Susie Derkins.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss X-Factor Annual Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Images from X-Factor Annual Vol 1 7
- X-Force Annual #1 (Shattershot Part 4)
Links and References
- X-Factor at Wikipedia
- X-Factor at Marvel Subscriptions
- X-Factor series index at Comicbookdb.com
- X-Factor series index at Uncanny X-Men.net
- X-Factor series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
- The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators - accessed on 11/3/2010
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks