Appearing in "Shattershot part 4: The Mirror Liars"
- X-Force (Earth-84309) (First appearance)
- Cannonball (Sam Guthrie) (First appearance)
- Cyberlock (Doug Ramsey/Warlock) (First appearance)
- Darkchild (Illyana Rasputin) (First appearance)
- Powerpax (Frankie Power) (First appearance)
- Siryn (Terry Cassidy) (First appearance)
- Sunspot (Roberto da Costa) (First appearance)
- Arize (Mojoverse-84309) (First appearance)
- Milton (First appearance)
- Shatterstar (Mojoverse-84309) (First appearance)
- Shecky (First appearance)
- FANG (Freeman Armed Network Garrison) (First appearance) (some die)
- Scheduler (First appearance)
- Satyrstar (Single appearance)
- Mojo (Only in flashback)
- Spiral (Only in flashback)
- Dr. Strange (Only in flashback)
- Longshot (Mojoverse-84309) (First appearance)
- Quark (Only in flashback)
- Ricochet Rita (Only in flashback)
- Spineless Ones (Mojoverse-84309) (First appearance) (some die) (Flashback and main story)
- X-Men (Only in flashback)
- Beast (Only in flashback)
- Colossus (Only in flashback)
- Cyclops (Only in flashback)
- Dazzler (Only in flashback)
- Gambit (Only in flashback)
- Havok (Only in flashback)
- Longshot (Only in flashback)
- Psylocke (Only in flashback)
- Rogue (Only in flashback)
- Storm (Only in flashback)
- Wolverine (Only in flashback)
- future Mojoverse (First appearance)
- future Mojoworld (First appearance)
- Marvel Universe (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "Shattershot part 4: The Mirror Liars"
In a Mojoworld arena, biped warriors of the Freeman Armed Network Garrison (FANG) defeat a squad of Spineless Ones in gladiatorial combat. Acceding to the demands of the crowd, Master Programmer Shatterstar has the warriors execute them. On Earth, Arize and two rebel Spineless Ones—Milton and Shecky—materialize outside Xavier’s School. Mistaking them for a threat, X-Force attacks, but team leader Cannonball stops the fight upon recognizing Arize. Arize tells X-Force he needs their help to overthrow Shatterstar. On Mojoworld, Shatterstar questions his regime’s brutal treatment of the Spineless Ones, but the Scheduler insists it is necessary to prevent the Spineless Ones from enslaving their people again. Arize tells X-Force of his attempt to teach the Spineless Ones about freedom by broadcasting Earth media to them, but it backfired by driving them insane. He also relates how he and Spiral worked with Longshot and the X-Men to overthrow Mojo and Mojo II. Ten years ago, X-Force overthrew Mojo V and installed Shatterstar as Mojoworld’s ruler. But, Shatterstar’s regime has descended into tyranny so Arize and his rebels want to depose it and establish a democracy. For that, X-Force agrees to help. Weeks later on Mojoworld, Milton, Shecky, and a disguised Arize battle FANG warriors in the arena while X-Force infiltrates the crowd. The team makes its way to Shatterstar’s viewing box as Arize and his rebels win the fight. When the crowd demands the warriors’ execution, Arize reveals himself. The Scheduler orders his arrest, but X-Force bursts into the viewing box to stop it. When Shatterstar takes X-Force’s side, the Scheduler pushes him into the arena below. X-Force moves to protect him as FANG troops and rebel Spineless Ones pour into the building. In the ensuing mayhem, the Scheduler tries to kill Arize, but Shatterstar stops him. The audience calls for the Scheduler’s execution, but Shatterstar refuses. Instead, he and Arize declare it is time for Spineless Ones and bipeds to live together in peace and equality. As the crowd cheers, Cannonball glimpses an aged Longshot watching nearby, elated that his people are at last truly free.
Appearing in "The Crush"
- Lynne Huntington (First appearance)
- Patrick Conrad (Single appearance)
- anti-mutant subversives
Synopsis for "The Crush"
At St. Simons Academy, teacher Lynne Huntington catches Wiz Kid practicing his mutant powers with Artie and Leech. She is chastising him in her office when her boyfriend Patrick arrives to pick her up for a date. Wiz Kid has a crush on her and waits up until late that night for them to return. Once they do, he spies Patrick stealing files on Artie and Leech as part of an anti-mutant plot. Determined to expose Patrick, Wiz Kid gets Artie and Leech, uses his powers to create a helicopter, and follows Patrick into town. Lynne sees them take off and follows them in a van. The three boys watch Patrick meet with his co-conspirators and use their powers to subdue them. After retrieving the files, Wiz Kid contacts the police. Lynne arrives as the cops escort Patrick away, and he dismisses her as a mutant-loving fool. The next day, Wiz Kid tries to cheer her up by offering to date her in a few years.
Appearing in "Know Your Enemy"
- Black Tom Cassidy (On a TV or computer screen)
- Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (On a TV or computer screen)
- Deadpool (On a TV or computer screen)
- Gideon (On a TV or computer screen)
- Juggernaut (On a TV or computer screen)
- Morlocks (On a TV or computer screen)
- Mutant Liberation Front (On a TV or computer screen)
- Tolliver (On a TV or computer screen)
- Proteus (On a TV or computer screen)
- G.W. Bridge (On a TV or computer screen)
- Sunspot (On a TV or computer screen)
- Weapon X (Garrison Kane) (On a TV or computer screen)
- X-Men (On a TV or computer screen)
Synopsis for "Know Your Enemy"
Cable presents X-Force with a list of their top ten enemies and has a team member describe the most effective tactic to defeat each one. To test the team’s loyalty to him, he includes not just enemies such as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Deadpool, and the MLF but also allies like the X-Men. Cannonball and Boom-Boom object and walk out of the session. Domino dismisses the rest of the team and asks Cable if X-Force can follow him and Xavier’s dream simultaneously. Cable insists they cannot because achieving a dream is different from fighting a war.
- This issue is part four of the four-part "Shattershot" crossover with Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, and X-Men. The story continues from X-Factor Annual #7.
- This issue includes pin-ups of:
- This issue is reprinted in:
- X-Force: Under the Gun hardcover (2011);
- X-Force Omnibus hardcover (2013);
- X-Force Epic Collection vol. 1: Under the Gun trade paperback (2017).
- "The Mirror Liars" is also reprinted in the X-Men: Shattershot hardcover published in 2019.
- The events of "The Mirror Liars" take place in an alternate future (Earth-84309) where X-Force helped the rebels of Mojoworld overthrow the Spineless Ones and Shatterstar became the ruler of Mojoworld.
- The third story is not so much a story as a "Villain's Gallery" where Cable quizzes X-Force on their top enemies, many of whom were hardly even recurring characters, let alone villains in the X-Force series.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss X-Force Annual Vol 1 1992 on the forums
- Images from X-Force Annual Vol 1 1992
Links and References
- X-Force at Wikipedia
- X-Force at Marvel Subscriptions
- X-Force series index at Comicbookdb.com
- X-Force series index at Uncanny X-Men.net
- X-Force series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
- The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators - accessed on 08/15/2010
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks